10.06.2012

My First 10K!

Today was my first official race!!  I ran a 10K through some pretty gnarly terrain (6.2 miles of cowpies, soft dirt, hay fields, water, mud, freezing drizzle and it was 30 degrees!!), with a final chip time of 1'10".  Was trying my hardest to outdo my sister's last 10K (1'6"), but some of the ground we were running on was just too rough to go very fast.  I finished 29th in my age group, which sounded pretty cool until I realized I have no idea how many people were running in my age group!  (hoping there was more than 30, ha ha).  Just wish my sis could have been there to run with us, but I know she was there in spirit!

It was a lot of fun to run with my Team Challenge teammates too, and I learned quite a bit about myself and how to run a race.  Slow and steady is really the way I prefer to run, but I found myself consistently running 10 min miles the first 3 miles, and was not breathing the way I should.  Once I scaled back, and remembered to hydrate, I pulled myself together and got 'er done.

Colby and the girls were there to cheer me on, and I know the rest of our team was happy to see the girls too.  They are a good reminder for why we are running for them!

As of today, my sister and I have raised.....<drumroll please...>

$8, 576!!!!  
 
WOOHOO!!  I could not be more excited and proud of our friends and family who are supporting us with this cause.  It absolutely makes my heart sing.  From the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment